The overall goal of the NPHC is to make high quality, consistent and timely population and housing data available for national, provincial, local and sectoral planning and policy making, as per the country’s new federal structure. The 2021 NPHC will help to better incorporate changes in population dynamics and social characteristics into policies, development programmes and plans. The census is also an important tool to provide information and indicators for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Program of Action adopted by International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD/PoA).
Specific objectives of the 2021 NPHC are:1. To provide the country with a dataset that captures the population situation of the country together with its socio-economic characteristics. The dataset will deliver a wide set of baseline data for evidence-based planning and decision making in many fields at the national, provincial and local levels.
2. To increase the technical and operational capability of the CBS and other key government institutions to plan and execute population censuses and large-scale statistical operations in the future.
3. To involve, as much as possible, stakeholders from within and outside the government helping to decide on the topics and questions to be included in the upcoming census, to optimally cater for their needs.
4. To produce a series of statistical tables, maps and thematic reports on topics that are of critical importance for the country’s sustainable development and that are in line with international standards and practices, to allow for comparing the results from the census with information from other countries.
5. To provide a sampling frame for the 2021 Agriculture Census and Master Sampling Frame (MSF) for other household surveys.
6. To do in-depth analysis on a variety of topics that are important for policy making and development planning. The results of these analyses will be published in a series of thematic reports and in a census atlas.
7. To help carry out Small Area Estimation (SAE) of key indicators to estimate regional and local indicators through modelling, by linking census and sample survey data.
8. To improve capacity of population experts from the CBS and other relevant institutions to carry out in-depth demographic analysis.
9. To introduce new methodologies for the preparation, execution and dissemination of population censuses including the ICT in data collection.
10. To further integrate Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in census cartography, data collection, analysis and dissemination.
11. To set up free and open census data dissemination platforms including making census tables inter-actively available through data base application on the web using well established applications.